SPECIAL OFFERS for Therapists & Counselors
• Fifty (50) California-based MFT Practices to Receive FREE Facilitator Training in Mastering the Mysteries of Love (MML).
Download information about the Free MML Facilitator Training
• Join the MML-Affiliated Therapist Registry
Explore how to join the MML-Affiliated Therapist Registry
Take the first step to join the MML-Affiliated Therapist Registry
Therapists and counselors are essential in the statewide initiative to strengthen marriages and reduce family breakdown!
California Healthy Marriages Coalition (CHMC) is committed to help therapists and counselors
According to CHMC's 2008 survey of California adults*:
• 94% of those who attended a Marriage Education class found the information helpful or very helpful.
• 78% of Californians who attended a Marriage Education class claimed the class strengthened their relationship to some or to a great extent.
• Half of those (50%) who have never attended Marriage Education stated they would attend a workshop or relationship skills class.
CHMC’s mission is to improve the well-being of children by strengthening the relationship of parents through Marriage Education and Relationship Skills classes.
In 2006, CHMC received the nation’s largest Federal Healthy Marriage Demonstration Grant ($2.4 million per year for five years) to increase access and availability of Marriage Education (ME) and Relationship Skills (RS) programs in California. In the first 18-months of the project, over 15,500 people attended 153,703 hours of ME/RS classes conducted in English, Spanish or Korean.
A number of counselors, therapists, and counseling practices provided ME/RS to couples and individuals through our project. Many couples want and need Marriage Education. Some couples are looking for faith-based programs, while others prefer non-religious content. Regardless, there are not enough therapists and counselors providing classes and workshops to meet the demand.
Here are practical ways CHMC can help you play a role and expand your practice:
(1) We Have Marriage Education PARTNERING ORGANIZATIONS Throughout California: CHMC is a coalition made up of dozens of organizations that provide ME/RS classes throughout California. More than likely, at least one of our partnering organizations is in your area. Find a partnering organization near you.
(2) We Offer an EXTENSIVE Number of TRAIN-THE-FACILITATOR WORKSHOPS in Marriage Education Programs: CHMC and our partnering organizations provide training in many of the most effective ME/RS programs including Mastering the Mysteries of Love, Family Wellness, PREPARE/ENRICH, Active Relationships, World Class Marriage, Relationship Enhancement, Bringing Baby Home, Connections, and more. Many of the trainings are offered at a reduced price in convenient locations throughout the state. Select trainings are available in Spanish and Korean. Find trainings now.
»»» “Marriage Education helps our efforts to strengthen families and communities. Partnering with CHMC has helped us expand our work with couples.” Pastor Bruce E. McAlister, L.C.S.W., Administrative Assistant to Bishop J.W. Macklin, Northern California Jurisdiction COGIC
(3) We Provide FREE PROMOTIONAL SUPPORT for Your Marriage Education Programs: Our website (www.CaMarriage.com) is California’s only statewide clearinghouse of ME classes. Find ME classes in your area to refer couples to, spread the word by listing your ME programs on the site, and download FREE, eye-catching, full-color promotional brochures and posters for select ME curricula. Also, benefit from the statewide “…because of ME!” campaign aimed at raising public awareness about the benefits of Marriage Education. List your M.E. classes now!
»»» “CHMC’s ‘because of ME!’ campaign caused a buzz in Fresno! The yard signs, web banner ads, and bus boards resulted in a much higher volume of inquiries and participants in our Marriage Education classes. Divorce filings in Fresno are the lowest in five years!” Ron McLain, former pastor at Santa Cruz Bible Church, director of Healthy Marriage Coalition of Fresno/Madera County
(4) We Link Couples with Therapists & Counselors on the MML-Affiliated Therapist Directory: Licensed therapists and counselors in California who complete CHMC's three-step process (attend a participant class, two-day training and one-day MML-Affiliated Therapists Training) and agree to take a pro-marriage and pro-MML stance with couples during therapy sessions can join this exclusive listing. Couples who attend MML classes and need professional help will be referred to the MML-Affiliated Therapist Directory. The first batch of therapists were added to the Directory in July of 2008
California's couples, families and children need more therapists and counselors to provide Marriage Education and Relationship Skills classes!
* The California Marriage Baseline Survey was conducted in January 2008 by phone interviews with 2,005 California adults by Interviewing Services of America and Gomez Research. Response accuracy is 2.2%.